1. 93% of Americans over the age of 6 test positive for BPA (a plastic chemical)
2. Plastic production uses eight percent of the world oil production.
- The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that recycling one ton of plastic conserves approximately 3.8 barrels of crude oil.
3. Virtually every piece of plastic ever produced still exists somewhere.
4. Plastic can cause acne for your pets
- Porous plastic bowls allow bacteria to breed and multiply, causing an acne-like rash on a pet’s chin… we recommend ceramic or stainless steel bowls instead!
5. Plastic may not be vegan/vegetarian friendly
- You probably didn’t realize that chicken fat is often added to the exterior of plastic bags to make them more slippery. But if you only use canvas bags you’re not totally safe yet, animal fats are also added to other plastic products to prevent them from sticking to metal machinery.
6. Plastic waste travels more than you do
- Yes that’s right, large distances over air and sea! Did you know Canadian plastic shopping bags have been found as far as Scotland?
7. Phthalates, a common toxin found in plastics that hold food, is known to shrink unborn baby’s penis if consumed during pregnancy